Sunday, July 15, 2012

Saint Patrick and Helias

That same night while I was sleeping, Satan strongly put me to the test – I will remember it as long as I live! It was as if an enormous rock fell on me, and I lost all power in my limbs.

Although I knew little about the life of the spirit at the time, how was it that I knew to call upon Helias?

While these things were happening, I saw the sun rise in the sky, and while I was calling “Helias! Helias!” with all my strength, the splendour of the sun fell on me; and immediately, all that weight was lifted from me.

I believe that I was helped by Christ the Lord, and that his spirit cried out for me. I trust that it will be like this whenever I am under stress, as the gospel says: “In that day, the Lord testifies, it will not be you will speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.”
Confessio 20
Helias is an intriguing word. For example, Muirchú who was writing about two hundred years later understood the word as the biblical name who quickly became a saint also in the Christian church Eliah.
In that same night Satan attacked him vigorously in his sleep, as if burying him under huge rocks and crushing his limbs, but he invoked Elijah twice and at once the sun rose for him and its brightness dispelled all the shadows of darkness, and his strength was restored to him.
Muirchú I.2
I wonder would Saint Patrick invoke a Saint in such a manner as he was according to his own confession an intimate friend of Lord Jesus who spend most of his free time talking with Him in prayer.

The translator of Confessio text used in this post suggests that the word may actually refer to Helios, Sun, and refers to another passage in the Confessio where Saint Patrick talks about Jesus Christ as the true Sun.
The sun which we see rising for us each day at his command, that sun will never reign nor will its splendour continue forever; and all those who adore that sun will come to a bad, miserable penalty. We, however, believe in and adore the true sun, that is, Christ, who will never perish. Nor will they perish who do his will but they will abide forever just as Christ will abide forever[Nota]. He lives with God the Father almighty and with the Holy Spirit before the ages began, and now, and for all the ages of ages. Amen.
Confessio 60
The suggestion that this is the Helias in the nightly fight with the Devil seems quite convincing.


Constantine the Great was a worshipper of Sun Invictus who was a popular god in Rome from Empereor Aurelian on during the 3rd and 4th centuries AD. In the Sun he saw the sign and hear thd voice "in hoc signae vincent".

After becoming the sole ruler Constantine the Great dedicated the joyous feast of Sun in Rome to the Son of God, Jesus Christ giving thereby Western Christianity the date of December 25th for celebrating His birth.

This is genuine Roman background for connecting the Son of God with the Sun.

What was the local Celtic religious tradition - did the druids and others worship Sun and would Saint Patrick have such influence in his faith?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the clarification on the "Helias." I like the Jesus as true sun and light as opposed to St. Patrick calling on Elijah. Though that makes for an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helias is the Latin name for Elijah. Helios means sun. He was calling out to Elijah but the concept of the true light Christ is present as well as Elijah was the spirit and power in John the Baptist who was the forerunner to Christ the true light so he was asking for the same power to bring forth the message of Christ the eternal light.

      Delete